OpenBSD-based network switch with >16 GigE ports.
Karel Gardas
2018-04-06 22:01:54 UTC
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a new switch for house network. Ideally I'd like to setup everything here on OpenBSD, but I'm not lucky
to find any OpenBSD-based switch. I need just GigE ports, at least 18-20. Preferably fanless. 1-2U shallow depth into small rack.
I know all those Marvells, Broadcoms etc. holding majority in switch business with strict NDAs are not OpenBSD friendly, but
still hope something may have slipped from my sight.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!
Karel
Remi Locherer
2018-04-10 22:04:28 UTC
On Sat, Apr 07, 2018 at 12:01:54AM +0200, Karel Gardas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking to buy a new switch for house network. Ideally I'd like to setup everything here on OpenBSD, but I'm not lucky
> to find any OpenBSD-based switch. I need just GigE ports, at least 18-20. Preferably fanless. 1-2U shallow depth into small rack.
> I know all those Marvells, Broadcoms etc. holding majority in switch business with strict NDAs are not OpenBSD friendly, but
> still hope something may have slipped from my sight.

There is some hope: Broadcom recently published their SDKLT as open source.
https://www.broadcom.com/products/ethernet-connectivity/software/sdklt

A switch with a Tomahawk ASIC might be a bit oversized for you home network. ;-)

Remi