OpenBSD VMM VMs Crash
Add Reply
Aaron Marcher
2018-04-06 16:55:05 UTC
Ohai,

for me OpenBSD VMM VMs crash after some (undefined) time while logging
the following on the host:
vcpu_run_loop: vm 3 / vcpu 0 run ioctl failed: Invalid argument
Apart from that VMM works es expected.

Regards,
Aaron
--
Web: https://drkhsh.at/ or http://drkhsh5rv6pnahas.onion/
Gopher: gopher://drkhsh.at or gopher://drkhsh5rv6pnahas.onion
Fingerprint: 4688 907C 8720 3318 0D9F AFDE 7A65 E38D 55BE 96FE
Mike Larkin
2018-04-06 19:29:18 UTC
Ohai,
for me OpenBSD VMM VMs crash after some (undefined) time while logging the
vcpu_run_loop: vm 3 / vcpu 0 run ioctl failed: Invalid argument
Apart from that VMM works es expected.
Regards,
Aaron
--
Web: https://drkhsh.at/ or http://drkhsh5rv6pnahas.onion/
Gopher: gopher://drkhsh.at or gopher://drkhsh5rv6pnahas.onion
GPG: 0x7A65E38D55BE96FE
Fingerprint: 4688 907C 8720 3318 0D9F AFDE 7A65 E38D 55BE 96FE
could be anything. enable VMM_DEBUG and send me what you see in dmesg
after the crash.
Carlos Cardenas
2018-04-06 19:32:48 UTC
Ohai,
for me OpenBSD VMM VMs crash after some (undefined) time while logging the
vcpu_run_loop: vm 3 / vcpu 0 run ioctl failed: Invalid argument
Apart from that VMM works es expected.
Regards,
Aaron
--
Web: https://drkhsh.at/ or http://drkhsh5rv6pnahas.onion/
Gopher: gopher://drkhsh.at or gopher://drkhsh5rv6pnahas.onion
GPG: 0x7A65E38D55BE96FE
Fingerprint: 4688 907C 8720 3318 0D9F AFDE 7A65 E38D 55BE 96FE
Aaron,

This is not a very good bug report.

Please provide the following information:
* dmesg of host
* vm.conf
* Guest information (dmesg if OpenBSD)
* What is the guest doing when it dies?
* What is the host doing when the guest dies?

+--+
Carlos
Aaron Marcher
2018-04-07 09:46:50 UTC
So i looked up logs and stuff and came to the point that my issues are
exactly this ones:
http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/vmd-VMs-are-stopping-with-vcpu-0-run-ioctl-failed-Invalid-argument-td333259.html

It seems the issue was not further discussed and/or fixed?

Regards,
Aaron
Mike Larkin
2018-04-07 18:46:42 UTC
Post by Aaron Marcher
So i looked up logs and stuff and came to the point that my issues are
http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/vmd-VMs-are-stopping-with-vcpu-0-run-ioctl-failed-Invalid-argument-td333259.html
It seems the issue was not further discussed and/or fixed?
Regards,
Aaron
--
Web: https://drkhsh.at/ or http://drkhsh5rv6pnahas.onion/
Gopher: gopher://drkhsh.at or gopher://drkhsh5rv6pnahas.onion
GPG: 0x7A65E38D55BE96FE
Fingerprint: 4688 907C 8720 3318 0D9F AFDE 7A65 E38D 55BE 96FE
You are jumping to conclusions.

All we know is that your VMs failed to run at some point. Whether or not it
is "exactly the same" as that other post is unknown, since you didn't run with
VMM_DEBUG and give us any more info. Or even submit a proper bug report.

For what it's worth, I'm still working on that other issue.

-ml
Olivier Cherrier
2018-04-10 14:31:15 UTC
Post by Mike Larkin
Post by Aaron Marcher
[...]
For me, the issue never went away.
I would say it is even more frequent now than before (end of 2017).
--
Olivier Cherrier
Phone: +352691754777
mailto:***@symacx.com
Mike Larkin
2018-04-10 17:31:07 UTC
Post by Olivier Cherrier
Post by Mike Larkin
Post by Aaron Marcher
[...]
Yep, I dusted off that tree and spent a few hours on it last night.

Hopefully have a working diff soon; the EPT misconfigurations are gone but I'm
running into a uvm page list accounting error now that results in panics when
the VMs are torn down. I know why it's happening but the alternative approach
is a bit more messy and I'd hoped to stay away from that. But maybe I'll have
no choice.

-ml
Mike Larkin
2018-04-12 20:50:07 UTC
Post by Olivier Cherrier
Post by Mike Larkin
Post by Aaron Marcher
[...]
I have a diff locally that I am testing now that might fix this. Stay tuned.

-ml