mpv zombie process, lock sound device upon suspending process
Klemens Nanni
2017-12-26 13:44:00 UTC
On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 08:56:12AM -0200, x9p wrote:
> If someone can give it a try, I had found no solution to free the sound device or to kill a
> mpv zpmbie process.
>
> Inside a tmux panel, while playing any audio/video, hit CTRL+Z . Then you will not be able to
> resume the process with fg, neither kill it, and it will lock the sound device until next
> reboot.
After suspending it, the mpv process will be stopped, indicated by
ps(1) with the T state.

Sending a SIGCONT signal continues the mpv process which will eventually
exit.
Marc Espie
2017-12-30 02:20:23 UTC
On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 12:21:23PM -0200, x9p wrote:

> On Tue, December 26, 2017 11:44 am, Klemens Nanni wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 08:56:12AM -0200, x9p wrote:
> >> If someone can give it a try, I had found no solution to free the sound device or to kill a
> >> mpv zpmbie process.
> >>
> >> Inside a tmux panel, while playing any audio/video, hit CTRL+Z . Then you will not be able
> >> resume the process with fg, neither kill it, and it will lock the sound device until next
> >> reboot.
> > After suspending it, the mpv process will be stopped, indicated by
> > ps(1) with the T state.
> >
> > Sending a SIGCONT signal continues the mpv process which will eventually
> > exit.
> >

> You are right, I was able to continue it. Thank you.
>
> I cannot reproduce the problem anymore. In the past the state was "pk", if I remember well
> not "T".

That's a new one, suspended mpv exits on continue for me.

I've looked vaguely, the signal handlers seem to be making assumptions that
are completely crazy on a threaded program (remember that *any thread*
will pick the signal up).