is there foomatic-rip for lpd on openBSD 6.3?
Rudolf Sykora
2018-04-09 14:52:36 UTC
Hello,

I want to print from openBSD 6.3. I tried to use lpd and found
some information on the web about setting up /etc/printcap.
Many texts use the foomatic-rip program. I can't find one
in ports. Is there anything instead? What's the recommended
way to set up printing?

Thanks for any comments
Ruda
Gleydson Soares
2018-04-09 15:04:15 UTC
On Mon, Apr 09, 2018 at 04:52:36PM +0200, Rudolf Sykora wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to print from openBSD 6.3. I tried to use lpd and found
> some information on the web about setting up /etc/printcap.
> Many texts use the foomatic-rip program. I can't find one
> in ports. Is there anything instead? What's the recommended
> way to set up printing?

i've been using cups and works.

Heppler, J. Scott
2018-04-09 16:33:42 UTC
It is in print/cups-filters

http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/~checkout~/ports/print/cups-filters/pkg/README?rev=1.9&content-type=text/plain

J. Scott Heppler
Predrag Punosevac
2018-04-09 23:43:36 UTC
On Mon, Apr 09, 2018 at 04:52:36PM +0200, Rudolf Sykora wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to print from openBSD 6.3. I tried to use lpd and found
> > some information on the web about setting up /etc/printcap.

Around here we actually read man pages and pkg-readmes

***@oko$ uname -a
OpenBSD oko.bagdala2.net 6.3 GENERIC.MP#107 amd64

Please check for foomatic-rip filters explanation which was
intensionally broken by upstream for LPD spooling

/usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/cups-filters-1.20.1

You should also try to find your answer by searching first

***@openbsd and ***@openbsd

Here is my post which would have answered your question.

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=141490031517069&w=2

> > Many texts use the foomatic-rip program. I can't find one
> > in ports. Is there anything instead? What's the recommended
> > way to set up printing?
>
> i've been using cups and works.

Most of OpenBSD guys I personally know are big believers in KISS
principle. Answering original question with a suggestion that a simple
functionality available from the base should be replaced with a very
complicated external program is a bad advise.

Predrag

Rudolf Sykora
2018-04-10 07:28:53 UTC
Dear Predrag,

> Around here we actually read man pages and pkg-readmes

I do read man pages. But 1) As far as I can tell, you will not find any
information anywhere about foomatic-rip (or any other smart filter)
when you just install the system, and 2), on a similar note, you can
only read pkg-readmes when you have the packages already installed.
I didn't know it all goes with the cups-filters package.

> Here is my post which would have answered your question.
>
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=141490031517069&w=2

No.
I read your post before I asked. It's actually one of the few
things I found. But there you say: install foomatic-rip. It does
not mention where to get it.

Thanks
Ruda
Theo Buehler
2018-04-10 07:58:10 UTC
On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 09:28:53AM +0200, Rudolf Sykora wrote:
> Dear Predrag,
>
> > Around here we actually read man pages and pkg-readmes
>
> I do read man pages. But 1) As far as I can tell, you will not find any
> information anywhere about foomatic-rip (or any other smart filter)

use the pkglocatedb package:
https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html#PkgFind
Rudolf Sykora
2018-04-10 08:07:27 UTC
On 10 April 2018 at 09:58, Theo Buehler <***@openbsd.org> wrote:
>> I do read man pages. But 1) As far as I can tell, you will not find any
>> information anywhere about foomatic-rip (or any other smart filter)
>
> use the pkglocatedb package:
> https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html#PkgFind

Ok. This is good to know.
Thanks