bridging vmm network
niya
2018-03-08 17:48:05 UTC
hi

i working out my ideas for modelling my home network,

the network will have four vether interfaces to cover the needs of my
firewall,

which will have  a lan, demilitarised zone, carp redundancy and
connection to the wan,

should i bridge all four vether interfaces to one bridge or a separate
bridge for each ?
Mike Larkin
2018-03-09 01:56:49 UTC
Post by niya
hi
i working out my ideas for modelling my home network,
the network will have four vether interfaces to cover the needs of my
firewall,
which will have  a lan, demilitarised zone, carp redundancy and connection
to the wan,
should i bridge all four vether interfaces to one bridge or a separate
bridge for each ?
Can you explain a bit more? Specifically, what role is vmm playing
here?

-ml
niya
2018-03-09 12:08:42 UTC
Post by Mike Larkin
Post by niya
hi
i working out my ideas for modelling my home network,
the network will have four vether interfaces to cover the needs of my
firewall,
which will have  a lan, demilitarised zone, carp redundancy and connection
to the wan,
should i bridge all four vether interfaces to one bridge or a separate
bridge for each ?
Can you explain a bit more? Specifically, what role is vmm playing
here?
-ml
Hi Mike
sorry i think i'm refering to the wrong thing ,
i think it should be vmd in the title.
i have a test vm with a configuration of the following

cat /etc/vm.conf
switch "local" {
    add vether0
    interface bridge0
}

# Test VM
vm "test.vm" {
        disable
        owner alarm
        memory 256M
        disk "/home/alarm/vmm/test.img"
        interface tap0 { switch "local"
        lladdr fe:e1:bb:d1:23:51 }
        }

if i create multiple vm's do i attach the tap interface for each vm to
switch "local"
or do i add a virtual switch declaration in vm.conf for each ?

shadrock
Carlos Cardenas
2018-03-09 14:02:39 UTC
Post by niya
Post by Mike Larkin
Post by niya
[...]
?????????????? }
if i create multiple vm's do i attach the tap interface for each vm to
switch "local"
or do i add a virtual switch declaration in vm.conf for each ?
shadrock
Howdy.

What version of OpenBSD are you running? My guess based on the vm.conf
is 6.2, is that correct?

Some comments about networking, independent of version:
* Remove "tap0" from the "test.vm" config section. If you copied that
verbatim to another "vm", only one would be running since you
specified a particular tap interface to use. Instead leave the "tap0"
off to tell vmd to use the next available tap interface.
* If you plan on running more than 4 vms at a time (defined in vm.conf
or via vmctl directly), create more tap interfaces now with MAKEDEV
(example to create two more taps...cd /dev; doas ./MAKEDEV tap4 tap5).

I would recommend running --current as it has all the bug fixes for
vmm/vmd along with cdrom support, if you need it. If you are going to
run --current, you'll need to change your switch definition in vm.conf.
Take a look at https://www.openbsd.org/faq/current.html and look for:
2017/10/29 - vmd(8): switch configuration for more details.

+--+
Carlos