Xorg hangs on startup (skylake)
abi
2018-03-10 11:18:16 UTC
Hello,

I'm new to OpenBSD, but I'm old FreeBSD user. I've installed

OpenBSD 6.2 to XPS 13 /Skylake/ laptop (it runs FreeBSD with
unsignificant issues).

However, the system hangs (blackscreen, hard shutdown required) after
startx command.

No alterations to the system was made after install, setup excluded
games, laptop uses UEFI,

OpenBSD installed to usb stick.

I've done the following homework:

1. Tried vesa driver -> No screens found. (I have the same with FreeBSD)

2. Tried wsfb driver -> No screens found (If this is analog of FreeBSD's
scfb, it worked there)

3. Tried intel -> system hangs as with modesetting.

I expected difficulties, bot not too early :) I set
machdep.allowaperture=1 as X suggests.

Logs - https://pastebin.com/RkZz2b1y

The only errors are
error: [drm:pid0:i915_firmware_load_error_print] *ERROR* failed to load
firmware i915/skl_dmc_ver1.bin (-22)
error: [drm:pid0:i915_gem_init_hw] *ERROR* Failed to initialize GuC,
error -8 (ignored)

but they should be harmless
Stefan Sperling
2018-03-10 11:29:49 UTC
Post by abi
Hello,
I'm new to OpenBSD, but I'm old FreeBSD user. I've installed
OpenBSD 6.2 to XPS 13 /Skylake/ laptop (it runs FreeBSD with unsignificant
issues).
However, the system hangs (blackscreen, hard shutdown required) after startx
command.
Please try a -current snapshot.
but they should be harmless
abi
2018-03-10 16:05:06 UTC
Post by Stefan Sperling
Post by abi
Hello,
I'm new to OpenBSD, but I'm old FreeBSD user. I've installed
OpenBSD 6.2 to XPS 13 /Skylake/ laptop (it runs FreeBSD with unsignificant
issues).
However, the system hangs (blackscreen, hard shutdown required) after startx
command.
Please try a -current snapshot.
The same behaviour, system hangs after glamor initialization.
Logs: https://pastebin.com/0Hub2icY
fedelodo
2018-03-26 12:01:14 UTC
Post by abi
Post by Stefan Sperling
Post by abi
Hello,
I'm new to OpenBSD, but I'm old FreeBSD user. I've installed
OpenBSD 6.2 to XPS 13 /Skylake/ laptop (it runs FreeBSD with
unsignificant
issues).
However, the system hangs (blackscreen, hard shutdown required) after startx
command.
Please try a -current snapshot.
The same behaviour, system hangs after glamor initialization.
Logs: https://pastebin.com/0Hub2icY
I've got the same problem on an HD620, I heard it's an ACPI problem that
needs to be patched.

Sent from: http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/openbsd-user-misc-f3.html
Noth
2018-03-10 15:19:39 UTC
Post by Stefan Sperling
Post by abi
Hello,
I'm new to OpenBSD, but I'm old FreeBSD user. I've installed
OpenBSD 6.2 to XPS 13 /Skylake/ laptop (it runs FreeBSD with unsignificant
issues).
However, the system hangs (blackscreen, hard shutdown required) after startx
command.
Please try a -current snapshot.
Latest snapshot still has this bug. It's ongoing since 6.2 was
introduced unfortunately.
abi
2018-03-10 16:50:42 UTC
Post by Noth
Post by Stefan Sperling
Post by abi
Hello,
I'm new to OpenBSD, but I'm old FreeBSD user. I've installed
OpenBSD 6.2 to XPS 13 /Skylake/ laptop (it runs FreeBSD with
unsignificant
issues).
However, the system hangs (blackscreen, hard shutdown required) after startx
command.
Please try a -current snapshot.
Latest snapshot still has this bug. It's ongoing since 6.2 was
introduced unfortunately
I see. Are there any PRs around I can check ?