Freetype and Fontconfig on OpenBSD
e***@hush.com
2013-08-25 22:17:38 UTC
Hi there, as you can presume I new to OpenBSD (but not a newbie at
all) and I like well rendered fonts
and whatnot, a tool that I really love in GNU/Linux systems is
_fontconfig _because It lets me tweaking
fonts to the finer grain and mostly because I can replace fonts,
anyway, I was surfing at
http://openports.se searching for the packages freetype and
fontconfig, but, I could not find the
fontconfig but found freetype version 1.x which is almost a decade
old, I was wondering why these
packages I are not in OpenBSD ports, is it because we rarely have need
for them in OpenBSD? Or
is the apple's rendering patents that freetype uses? (If I'm not wrong
those patents have expired).

I would like to hear some thought on this.
Thank you.
eatg75
Marc Espie
2013-08-25 22:26:05 UTC
Post by e***@hush.com
Hi there, as you can presume I new to OpenBSD (but not a newbie at
all) and I like well rendered fonts
[...]
Post by e***@hush.com
http://openports.se searching for the packages freetype and
fontconfig, but, I could not find the
fontconfig but found freetype version 1.x which is almost a decade
old, I was wondering why these
packages I are not in OpenBSD ports, is it because we rarely have need
for them in OpenBSD? Or
No, it's because they're in the base xenocara system, and so they won't
appear in packages.

e.g., which fc-list => /usr/X11R6/bin/fc-list

fc-list --version
fontconfig version 2.10.91

that's in the faq somewhere, OpenBSD is not debian, the base system (and X)
are not packaged, they're part of the base install (for better or for worse)