locale settings for spelling, paper size, etc
Allan Streib
2018-03-13 17:17:26 UTC
Seems like a FAQ, though I didn't find it. I've noticed that in
applications such as Firefox, LibreOffice, etc. the spell checking uses
British English spelling. Also printing defaults to A4 instead of
US-Letter paper size.

I select us.swapctrlcaps keyboard when installing, and
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8.

Is this something I just need to change per application, or is there
another system-wide way to indicate I want American defaults?

Allan
Paul de Weerd
2018-03-13 19:58:17 UTC
On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 12:33:28PM -0700, Chris Bennett wrote:
| > Seems like a FAQ, though I didn't find it. I've noticed that in
| > applications such as Firefox, LibreOffice, etc. the spell checking uses
| > British English spelling. Also printing defaults to A4 instead of
| > US-Letter paper size.
| >
| > I select us.swapctrlcaps keyboard when installing, and
| > LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8.
| >
| > Is this something I just need to change per application, or is there
| > another system-wide way to indicate I want American defaults?
| >
| > Allan
| >

| /etc/papersize
| read man papersize
| it defaults to A4

That's not what papersize(5) tells me on my system:

If the papersize file does not exist, programs using
the paper library default to using letter as a fall-
back value

(I was unaware of papersize(5), so I looked it up .. apparently it's
from libpaper which is a dependency of several other packages)

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd
--
++++++++[<++++++++++>-]<+++++++.>+++[<------>-]<.>+++[<+
http://www.weirdnet.nl/
Austin Hook
2018-03-26 06:31:43 UTC
I have for a long time set my /etc/papersize to "letter". In my
experience Firefox ignores it. At some point the default setup for the
Firefox package became A4 and I have to manually re-set it to letter,
manually in the pop-up, whenever I print. Can't make it default to
letter. Can't find an about:config for Firefox that works for me. And it
doesn't even remember for the next print you do a few minutes later.
Suspect it's hardwired in by the ports developers. Keep telling myself to
look for a change to compile in, but shudder to think of building Firefox.

Any shortcut would be much appreciated.

Using AMD64, OpenBSD 6.2

Austin

http://www.weirdnet.nl/
Allan Streib
2018-03-26 13:26:24 UTC
Post by Austin Hook
I have for a long time set my /etc/papersize to "letter". In my
experience Firefox ignores it. At some point the default setup for the
Firefox package became A4 and I have to manually re-set it to letter,
manually in the pop-up, whenever I print. Can't make it default to
letter. Can't find an about:config for Firefox that works for me.
That suggestion of aoubt:config prompted me to look, there are several
print.print_paper_* settings, have you tried those?

This post indicates that print.print_paper_name may be the way...

https://superuser.com/questions/184476/how-to-set-default-page-setup-%e2%86%92page-size-as-a4-in-firefox#309175

... but it doesn't work for me in FF 58.0.2

I see the following:

print.print_paper_data integer 0
print.print_paper_height string 11.69
print.print_paper_name string iso_a4
print.print_paper_size integer 0
print.print_paper_size_unit integer 0
print.print_paper_width stirng 8.27

I have tried resetting to default, tried "letter" and "na_letter" as the
print_paper_name, but the print dialog always defaults to A4 regardless.
Post by Austin Hook
Keep telling myself to look for a change to compile in, but shudder to
think of building Firefox.
Agreed. I tried once and after quite some time if failed for lack of
resources (don't remember exactly what, now).

Allan
Austin Hook
2018-03-26 17:34:38 UTC
Post by Austin Hook
Keep telling myself to look for a change to compile in, but shudder to
think of building Firefox.
Agreed. I tried once and after quite some time if failed for lack of
resources (don't remember exactly what, now).
Allan
Yes, I tried everything I could think of in about:config release after
release.