Suggestions home server
Oliver Marugg
2017-12-14 18:23:51 UTC
Hi

I am considering buying a not so expensive home server.

Intended not for big storage, for some private webpresences, mail,
spamd, and own/-nextcloud, a bit of DB, some 16+ RAM and space for 2-3
disks (softraid) would be enough, no number cruncher. And it should be a
quiet and energy efficient;-). But APU2 and NUC is not what I want.

The HPE Gen10 MicroServer (but BIOS only with contract or under
warranty) could be as a possible solution (does anyone using it with
OpenBSD?).

Are there any other suggestions/ideas from your side?

Many thanks.

-oliver
g***@grompf.net
2017-12-14 19:24:46 UTC
Bonjour,

For my own personal purpose, i'm using coolermaster 110, 120, 130 cases
with some asrock low cost and low power mini-itx boards.All other parts
are common ones. It's not the «best & most power full setup» but it's
silent and my small ups announces 5 days of autonomy with openbsd on
this. Anyway it's very well supported as long as you don't select
Oliver Marugg
2017-12-17 22:48:31 UTC
On 14 Dec 2017, at 20:24, ***@grompf.net wrote:

> Bonjour,
>
> For my own personal purpose, i'm using coolermaster 110, 120, 130
> cases
> with some asrock low cost and low power mini-itx boards.All other
> parts
> are common ones. It's not the «best & most power full setup» but
> it's
> silent and my small ups announces 5 days of autonomy with openbsd on
> this. Anyway it's very well supported as long as you don't select
> braswell and alike cpus.
>
> Regards,
> Eric

Thanks Eric, I verified this option with a J1900 or equivalent low power
cpus/boards. I think to use vmm in future they seem a bit underpowered
for my purpose.
Peter N. M. Hansteen
2017-12-14 19:40:31 UTC
On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 07:23:51PM +0100, Oliver Marugg wrote:
> The HPE Gen10 MicroServer (but BIOS only with contract or under warranty)
> could be as a possible solution (does anyone using it with OpenBSD?).

The Gen8 works fine once you set the disk controller to plain SATA mode
instead of the default hardware raid mode.

Haven't had a chance to try the newer versions, but I wouldn't expect
any trouble

http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/
Noth
2017-12-15 08:11:26 UTC
On 14/12/17 20:40, Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 07:23:51PM +0100, Oliver Marugg wrote:
>> The HPE Gen10 MicroServer (but BIOS only with contract or under warranty)
>> could be as a possible solution (does anyone using it with OpenBSD?).
> The Gen8 works fine once you set the disk controller to plain SATA mode
> instead of the default hardware raid mode.
>
> Haven't had a chance to try the newer versions, but I wouldn't expect
> any trouble

Unfortunately it's barely more powerful and the Marvell RAID/S-ATA
controller seems to be really buggy on opensource OSes. And no iLO. It's
closer to the G7 than the G8 in design. At least it does 32Gb of ram.

Next step up is the Supermicro, but it's also a step up in budget :
https://www.supermicro.com/products/system/midtower/5028/SYS-5028D-TN4T.cfm
128Gb of ram, and a Xeon-D 1541 included. It can be boosted to a Xeon
1567 for 4 extra cores.

I decided to boost my MicroServer G8 to the max whilst I save up for the
SuperMicro...

Noth
Oliver Marugg
2017-12-17 22:55:07 UTC
On 15 Dec 2017, at 9:11, Noth wrote:

> On 14/12/17 20:40, Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 07:23:51PM +0100, Oliver Marugg wrote:
>>> The HPE Gen10 MicroServer (but BIOS only with contract or under
>>> warranty)
>>> could be as a possible solution (does anyone using it with
>>> OpenBSD?).
>> The Gen8 works fine once you set the disk controller to plain SATA
>> mode
>> instead of the default hardware raid mode.
>>
>> Haven't had a chance to try the newer versions, but I wouldn't expect
>> any trouble
>>
> Unfortunately it's barely more powerful and the Marvell RAID/S-ATA
> controller seems to be really buggy on opensource OSes. And no iLO.
> It's closer to the G7 than the G8 in design. At least it does 32Gb of
> ram.
>
> Next step up is the Supermicro, but it's also a step up in budget :
> https://www.supermicro.com/products/system/midtower/5028/SYS-5028D-TN4T.cfm
> 128Gb of ram, and a Xeon-D 1541 included. It can be boosted to a Xeon
> 1567 for 4 extra cores.
>
> I decided to boost my MicroServer G8 to the max whilst I save up for
> the SuperMicro...
>
> Noth

Thanks Noth, I use the SYS-5018D-FN4T with a XeonD1541 as power
efficient webserver
(https://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1u/5018/sys-5018d-fn4t.cfm),
which is great. The 5028D is the tower variant and too big for my
purpose hren, and it is really a step up to my budget.
Oliver Marugg
2017-12-17 22:50:46 UTC
On 14 Dec 2017, at 20:40, Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 07:23:51PM +0100, Oliver Marugg wrote:
>> The HPE Gen10 MicroServer (but BIOS only with contract or under
>> warranty)
>> could be as a possible solution (does anyone using it with OpenBSD?).
>
> The Gen8 works fine once you set the disk controller to plain SATA
> mode
> instead of the default hardware raid mode.
>
> Haven't had a chance to try the newer versions, but I wouldn't expect
> any trouble
>
> --
> Peter N. M. Hansteen, member of the first RFC 1149 implementation team
> http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/
> "Remember to set the evil bit on all malicious network traffic"
> delilah spamd[29949]: 85.152.224.147: disconnected after 42673
> seconds.

Thanks Peter, I verified the Gen10, to much storage and I do not like
the BIOS story (warranty or contract) with the Gen10.
Alex Waite
2017-12-15 09:24:35 UTC
> I am considering buying a not so expensive home server.
> [snip]
This might be a bit above "not so expensive" (~1,200), but I've been
running this at home for just under a year and have been very pleased:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/midtower/5028/sys-5028d-tn4t.cfm

Caveat: I'm running SmartOS on the metal and OpenBSD (and other OSs) in
zones/KVM.

---Alex
Oliver Marugg
2017-12-17 23:02:49 UTC
On 15 Dec 2017, at 10:24, Alex Waite wrote:

>> I am considering buying a not so expensive home server.
>> [snip]
> This might be a bit above "not so expensive" (~1,200), but I've been
> running this at home for just under a year and have been very pleased:
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/midtower/5028/sys-5028d-tn4t.cfm
>
> Caveat: I'm running SmartOS on the metal and OpenBSD (and other OSs)
> in zones/KVM.
>
> ---Alex

Thanks Alex. I went for an ASRock DeskMini 110, equipped it with a i5
Skylake. The chassis is small in size, but it will take a M2 and 2 SSDs,
perfect for my needs (max TDP 65 Watt).
Joel Wirāmu Pauling
2017-12-18 03:34:36 UTC
Agree with the j1900 experiences. The n3160's can be had for roughly
same price (2 port) variants and are a generation newer 14nm and
support AES-NI and are far more capable for mixed workloads.