Xfce with the .xinitrc file
Olivier REGNIER
2018-04-13 10:38:36 UTC
Hi,

After xfce was installed, I used the xinitrc file found in
/usr/local/share/examples/xfce4-session.

It is very complete.

Xfce runs but ck-launch-session is not executed.

Here is the script related to ck-launch-session:

# run xfce4-session if installed

# check if we start xfce4-session with ck-launch-session. this is only
# required for starting from a console, not a login manager
if test "$XFCE4_SESSION_WITH_CK" = "1"; then
ck-launch-session xfce4-session
else
echo "You have tried to start Xfce with consolekit support, but"
echo "ck-launch-session is not installed."
echo "Aborted startup..."
echo

exit 1
fi
else
# start xfce4-session normally
xfce4-session
fi

exit 0
fi

Thanks for your help.
--
Regards,
Olivier REGNIER
Christophe Simon
2018-04-13 13:09:55 UTC
Hello,

Sorry for this silly question, but is consolekit installed ?

Additionally, how do you start your X session ? Using a login manager
(xenodm ?), or from the console using `startx` ?

The script below requires the variable `XFCE4_SESSION_WITH_CK` is set to
`1` to run the session through consolekit. If you use `startx`, could
you try to `export XFCE4_SESSION_WITH_CK=1` ?

Regards.

Christophe
Thanks for your help.
IL Ka
2018-04-13 14:03:10 UTC
Hi,
So, does xfce4-session start with out of console kit or does not start at
all?
Do you use display manager or startx?
Note that .xinitrc is used only by xinit (startx), not by xenodm/xdm.

ck-launch-session is part of ConsoleKit, do you have it installed?

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 1:38 PM, Olivier REGNIER <***@riseup.net>
Freddy Fisker
2018-04-13 12:39:04 UTC
I only use the following in the .xinitrc file to start Xfce: xfce4-session

Best regards
Freddy
Post by Olivier REGNIER
Hi,
After xfce was installed, I used the xinitrc file found in
/usr/local/share/examples/xfce4-session.
It is very complete.
Xfce runs but ck-launch-session is not executed.
# run xfce4-session if installed
if which xfce4-session &rsaquo;/dev/null 2&rsaquo;&amp;1; then
# check if we start xfce4-session with ck-launch-session. this is only
# required for starting from a console, not a login manager
if test "$XFCE4_SESSION_WITH_CK" = "1"; then
if which ck-launch-session &rsaquo;/dev/null 2&rsaquo;&amp;1; then