Code Storing point
jin&hitman&Barracuda
2017-12-27 22:57:31 UTC
Hi

A weird request has arrived us from one of the our customers and it is
really unusual. Since I'm not a developer and i could not find any clue, i
guess that i need some guidance. Any help will be appreciated.

Here is the story
My company wrote an authentication software and dev. teams decided to close
code to others. A customer requested to see codes under one certain
condition. They demand to see our codes if our company fall into problems
that cause to lose the company. My point of view this looks like some kind
of quarantee.
Have you ever heard anything like this ?
Is there any software storing point{, company, people, bank or anything
else} some codes until certain events occour and then let people to see
codes ?
Todd C. Miller
2017-12-28 04:26:36 UTC
Post by jin&hitman&Barracuda
My company wrote an authentication software and dev. teams decided to close
code to others. A customer requested to see codes under one certain
condition. They demand to see our codes if our company fall into problems
that cause to lose the company. My point of view this looks like some kind
of quarantee.
Have you ever heard anything like this ?
Is there any software storing point{, company, people, bank or anything
else} some codes until certain events occour and then let people to see
codes ?
This is called "source code escrow" and is not uncommon for non-open
code. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_code_escrow

We had to use an escrow service at one of the companies I worked
for in the past. I don't recall which one.

You should be able to search on the term "source code escrow" and
find companies that provide this service.

- todd
jin&hitman&Barracuda