OpenBSD NFC support
Add Reply
Lari Rasku
2017-12-03 13:48:06 UTC
I've been thinking about getting a laptop with a Near Field
Communication module, but I'm worried if it'll work on OpenBSD. A
search through the mailing list archives, man pages and packages
revealed only the the qtconnectivity package, whose description holds
the following paragraph:

Qt NFC enables connectivity between NFC enabled devices.
Be warned that Qt NFC on OpenBSD may need some additional
components.

Which seems to suggest that it's possible, but doesn't mention what
those "additional components" might be. Does anyone have any firm
knowledge?
Stefan Sperling
2017-12-03 14:01:04 UTC
I've been thinking about getting a laptop with a Near Field Communication
module, but I'm worried if it'll work on OpenBSD. A search through the
mailing list archives, man pages and packages revealed only the the
Qt NFC enables connectivity between NFC enabled devices.
Be warned that Qt NFC on OpenBSD may need some additional
components.
Which seems to suggest that it's possible, but doesn't mention what those
"additional components" might be. Does anyone have any firm knowledge?
I am quite certain that OpenBSD contains no drivers for any NFC devices.

I have an NFC device in a laptop. If it is enabled in the BIOS
OpenBSD hangs at boot due to an interrupt storm. I don't know if
this happens on other machines, but you may even have to disable
the NFC device in the BIOS in order to use OpenBSD at all...
Paul de Weerd
2017-12-04 08:37:53 UTC
Hi Lari,

On Sun, Dec 03, 2017 at 03:48:06PM +0200, Lari Rasku wrote:
| I've been thinking about getting a laptop with a Near Field Communication
| module, but I'm worried if it'll work on OpenBSD. A search through the
| mailing list archives, man pages and packages revealed only the the
| qtconnectivity package, whose description holds the following paragraph:
|
| Qt NFC enables connectivity between NFC enabled devices.
| Be warned that Qt NFC on OpenBSD may need some additional
| components.
|
| Which seems to suggest that it's possible, but doesn't mention what those
| "additional components" might be. Does anyone have any firm knowledge?

I bought an external (USB connected) NFC reader/writer to play around
with. I did get the basics to work (could read information from
several cards) with libnfc, but the urgency of that particular project
dropped so completing porting that dangles somewhere on the lower
regions of my list of things to do.

In the end, I found a dongle on ebay that attaches as:

ugen2 at uhub4 port 2 "SCM Micro SCL3711-NFC&RW" rev 2.00/2.07 addr 3

The seller seems to no longer ship them in single unit volumes, but
here's the "bulk" (20-pcs) option though:

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Identiv-SCL3711-USB-NFC-Contactless-reader-Aimail-Taiwan/252493738824?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Currently, I don't even have it connected :-/ However, if you're
interested in working on this, let me know off-list and I can dig up
what little notes I still have.

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd
--
http://www.weirdnet.nl/
Lari Rasku
2017-12-04 23:32:01 UTC
Thanks Stefan, Paul. NFC is at the moment a mostly idle fancy for me,
so I'm unfortunately not prepared to commit to developing it yet.