Compatibility question for the New Sun X4100 server with 4FastEthernet as possible BGP routers, or stick with HP DL-145 G2?
Daniel Ouellet
2005-09-29 19:28:09 UTC
Hi,

I am stuck with many Cisco routers 7206 VXR that now run at 100% CPU
process time to time. The BGP table grow to a level that when combine
with a few access list on these routers, it now run out of steam! At a
minimum, more then I would like to see anyway!

I guess no one will be surprise on that!

So, I need to convert them in dummy aggregation router for T1's, etc but
without BGP or anything else on them for that matter, until I can get a
few good and tested cards for channel DS3 and the like that will work
well in OpenBSD.

I am stuck on this one and at the same time please to replace more Cisco
gear!

However, picking the best servers for this is also important.

I was looking at the HP DL-145 G2 with SCSI on them and I also saw the
new Sun X4100.

I really would need a minimum of 4x 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports in these
boxes.

So, hopefully someone will be able to answer this question for me.

Looking at the less then complete technical information on the Sun
server, I don't see the details of the chip set use in that server,
network card, etc. So, I can't search to see if OpenBSD may work on it
or not.

Google haven't return query with the X4100 and OpenBSD yet on this as
well. To new most likely.

So, is anyone can actually confirm or deny if OpenBSD actually work well
on this new Sun or not at all, or stay away from it, it would be greatly
appreciated!

I saw a few posts on the Sun DL-145 G2 and looks like issues are solve
with it and Brad work for the Broadcom network cards look like a
success, but I am not 100% sure on the SCSI yet however. I need to read
more on that.

I do use the DL-145 with great please so far, so I may be incline to
stick with HP, but the Sun default 4x Ethernet ports did attract me however!

Any word of wisdom on my best bet? I need 8 of these new servers to
start with, so I sure want to be sure to pick them right. Throwing money
down the tube is not my forte if you know what I mean!

May be someone know something even better for this stuff?

I saw posts from Henning for best network cards, still true and what
about a 4x ports in these new servers?

Many thanks for your input and your time as well!

Daniel
Karl Austin
2005-09-29 21:11:38 UTC
Post by Daniel Ouellet
Looking at the less then complete technical information on the Sun
server, I don't see the details of the chip set use in that server,
network card, etc. So, I can't search to see if OpenBSD may work on it
or not.
Google haven't return query with the X4100 and OpenBSD yet on this as
well. To new most likely.
I know this doesn't answer your compatability question, but as far as I
am aware (So Sun told me yesterday) the new Opteron servers won't
actually be shipping till end of October/Early November.

Thanks,

Karl Austin
Henning Brauer
2005-09-29 23:00:51 UTC
Post by Daniel Ouellet
I was looking at the HP DL-145 G2 with SCSI on them and I also saw the
new Sun X4100.
Looking at the less then complete technical information on the Sun
server, I don't see the details of the chip set use in that server,
network card, etc. So, I can't search to see if OpenBSD may work on it
or not.
afaik the 4100 and 4200 use the slightly aged AMD chipset, same thing
as in the HP DL145 G1, the V20z, and the IBM - should just work.

I am more curious about the 2100 actually. Finally a vendor got it and
made a (apparently) decent single-CPU amd64 1U machine with a reasonable
price tag. I am uncertain what chipset they use, might be nForce, might
be Via. As long as both GigEs and the SATA stuff works, and there's no
other showstopper, I don't care.
If anyone is able to get his hands on one, please report :)
And I am actually surprised sun is the one vendor who finally got it.
Sorry supermicro, you had your chance, bye bye.
Post by Daniel Ouellet
I saw posts from Henning for best network cards, still true and what
about a 4x ports in these new servers?
I am eagerly waiting for the SK V2 chipset to become supported. This is
in the works. Haven't seen a 4port one yet tho.
--
BS Web Services, http://www.bsws.de/
OpenBSD-based Webhosting, Mail Services, Managed Servers, ...
(Dennis Ritchie)
Stuart Henderson
2005-09-30 04:27:46 UTC
reasonable price tag. I am uncertain what chipset they use, might be
nForce, might be Via. As long as both GigEs and the SATA stuff
works, and there's no other showstopper, I don't care.
<http://anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2530&p=3> says:
s939, nforce4ultra, one gigE is bcm5721, the other gige and the sata is
on the nforce.

I'd like a tidy, simple way to connect flashcards to boxes like this -
does anyone know if there's such a thing as a box that looks similar to
a slimline CD drive (same mounting holes and connections) with a CF
reader in the front?
David Gwynne
2005-09-30 08:58:39 UTC
Post by Henning Brauer
Post by Daniel Ouellet
I was looking at the HP DL-145 G2 with SCSI on them and I also saw the
new Sun X4100.
Looking at the less then complete technical information on the Sun
server, I don't see the details of the chip set use in that server,
network card, etc. So, I can't search to see if OpenBSD may work on it
or not.
afaik the 4100 and 4200 use the slightly aged AMD chipset, same thing
as in the HP DL145 G1, the V20z, and the IBM - should just work.
True, that bit should just work as should the nics since its just 4x em.

However, the onboard storage controller probably wont work out of the box
right now. It's a SAS variant of the chips supported by the mpt driver.
According to marco it isn't as trivial as adding the pci ids to the driver
to make it work either. I'll gladly accept a donation of a x4100 or x4200 to
make it work ;)

The only other interesting thing in these machines is the ipmi stuff and the
management controller.
Post by Henning Brauer
I am more curious about the 2100 actually. Finally a vendor got it and
made a (apparently) decent single-CPU amd64 1U machine with a reasonable
price tag. I am uncertain what chipset they use, might be nForce, might
be Via.
Sun took the nforce 4 ultra chipset and stuck it in a 1u case.
Post by Henning Brauer
As long as both GigEs and the SATA stuff works, and there's no
other showstopper, I don't care.
The sata stuff probably works, but I doubt the nforce ethernet will. The
second nic appears to be a bge.
Yes please.
Sam Vaughan
2005-10-01 00:04:56 UTC
Post by David Gwynne
Post by Henning Brauer
afaik the 4100 and 4200 use the slightly aged AMD chipset, same thing
as in the HP DL145 G1, the V20z, and the IBM - should just work.
True, that bit should just work as should the nics since its just 4x em.
However, the onboard storage controller probably wont work out of
the box right now. It's a SAS variant of the chips supported by the
mpt driver. According to marco it isn't as trivial as adding the
pci ids to the driver to make it work either. I'll gladly accept a
donation of a x4100 or x4200 to make it work ;)
The only other interesting thing in these machines is the ipmi
stuff and the management controller.
When you say that the onboard storage controller probably won't work, do
you mean that managing it from inside OpenBSD won't work, or that it
probably won't even be possible to boot?

If it's just the former, then the IPMI controller would still allow you
to set up RAID status notification, reconfigure the disks and so forth.

I need to choose a server in the next couple of months and the x4200
looks like very good value for money. I'd really like to be able to run
OpenBSD on it.

Thanks,

Sam
David Gwynne
2005-10-01 03:58:53 UTC
Post by Sam Vaughan
Post by David Gwynne
However, the onboard storage controller probably wont work out of
the box right now. It's a SAS variant of the chips supported by
the mpt driver. According to marco it isn't as trivial as adding
the pci ids to the driver to make it work either. I'll gladly
accept a donation of a x4100 or x4200 to make it work ;)
The only other interesting thing in these machines is the ipmi
stuff and the management controller.
When you say that the onboard storage controller probably won't work, do
you mean that managing it from inside OpenBSD won't work, or that it
probably won't even be possible to boot?
I mean our mpt driver doesn't attach to this hardware, therefore you
wont be able to use the disks in openbsd. Aside from that there is no
bioctl support in the mpt driver (yet).
Post by Sam Vaughan
If it's just the former, then the IPMI controller would still allow you
to set up RAID status notification, reconfigure the disks and so forth.
While that is theoretically possible, I would bet money that it is
not hooked up that way inside the machine. The disk and volume
management would be done by the mpt controller, ipmi wouldnt be
involved in that. It would be interesting to see a dump of ipmi in
these machines.
Post by Sam Vaughan
I need to choose a server in the next couple of months and the x4200
looks like very good value for money. I'd really like to be able to run
OpenBSD on it.
You'll need an extra storage controller and external disks, or diffs
for mpt first :)

dlg
Marco Peereboom
2005-10-04 02:44:00 UTC
We'll make it work for donations :-)

IPMI & MPT :-)

So if anyone is willing to donate let us know...
Sam
Sam Vaughan
2005-10-11 07:00:57 UTC
I just came across an interesting white paper with lots more detail:

<http://www.computerworld.com/x64/pdfs/
Sun_Fire_X4100_and_4200_WP_v14.pdf>

Sam

Daniel Ouellet
2005-09-30 14:19:28 UTC
Post by Henning Brauer
I am more curious about the 2100 actually. Finally a vendor got it and
made a (apparently) decent single-CPU amd64 1U machine with a reasonable
price tag. I am uncertain what chipset they use, might be nForce, might
I like the 2100 better, but was looking at the 4100 ONLY because of the
4 built in GigEs. Never to many Ethernet cards when use as a router! (;>
I would actually love a box with 8x and one with 8 fiber ports. That
would be sweet! But you got me thinking twice now!