NFS Portmap: RPC: Program not registered
b***@cemetary.homeunix.org
2002-10-15 18:10:48 UTC
I've recently upgraded to the latest 3.2 snapshot from 3.1

I am trying to NFS mount a file system from a NetBSD 1.5.3 sparc box -
this worked fine under 3.1. Now when I try to mount it I get
"NFS Portmap: RPC: Program not registered". The OpenBSD box can mount
NFS from the Linux server fine. The Linux box can mount from the NetBSD
box fine.

any suggestions?

--Andrew

Stephen Marley
2002-10-15 18:37:05 UTC
Post by b***@cemetary.homeunix.org
I've recently upgraded to the latest 3.2 snapshot from 3.1
The snapshots are -current now, not 3.2.
Post by b***@cemetary.homeunix.org
I am trying to NFS mount a file system from a NetBSD 1.5.3 sparc box -
this worked fine under 3.1. Now when I try to mount it I get
"NFS Portmap: RPC: Program not registered". The OpenBSD box can mount
NFS from the Linux server fine. The Linux box can mount from
the NetBSD box fine.
Have a look at the output of:

rpcinfo -p localhost
rpcinfo -p netbsdbox
rpcinfo -p linuxbox

and the answer should be apparent.
stephen
Andrew Basterfield
2002-10-15 18:51:29 UTC
On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 19:37:05 +0100
Post by Stephen Marley
Post by b***@cemetary.homeunix.org
I've recently upgraded to the latest 3.2 snapshot from 3.1
The snapshots are -current now, not 3.2.
The early october snapshot,
Post by Stephen Marley
Post by b***@cemetary.homeunix.org
I am trying to NFS mount a file system from a NetBSD 1.5.3 sparc box
- this worked fine under 3.1. Now when I try to mount it I get
"NFS Portmap: RPC: Program not registered". The OpenBSD box can
mount NFS from the Linux server fine. The Linux box can mount from
the NetBSD box fine.
rpcinfo -p localhost
rpcinfo -p netbsdbox
rpcinfo -p linuxbox
and the answer should be apparent.
# rpcinfo -p localhost (openbsd)
program vers proto port
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
# rpcinfo -p saurus (netbsd)
program vers proto port
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
# rpcinfo -p snot (linux)
program vers proto port
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
100005 1 udp 673 mountd
100005 2 udp 673 mountd
100005 1 tcp 676 mountd
100005 2 tcp 676 mountd
100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
100021 1 udp 32790 nlockmgr
100021 3 udp 32790 nlockmgr
100021 4 udp 32790 nlockmgr

nfsd and mountd are both running on the NetBSD box, and the Linux box
can mount it's shares OK.

The only thing that has changed from a working setup is the OpenBSD
upgrade

--Andrew
Stephen Marley
2002-10-15 18:59:07 UTC
Post by Andrew Basterfield
Post by Stephen Marley
[...]
Hmm, according to rpcinfo -p saurus, nfsd and mountd are not running. One
possible explanation is that you have accidently assigned the wrong IP
address to saurus in the openbsd box's host file.

[Passed back to the list]
stephen
b***@cemetary.homeunix.org
2002-10-15 19:09:27 UTC
On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 19:59:07 +0100 (BST)
Post by Stephen Marley
Hmm, according to rpcinfo -p saurus, nfsd and mountd are not running.
One possible explanation is that you have accidently assigned the
wrong IP address to saurus in the openbsd box's host file.
[Passed back to the list]
Thanks for your time anyway, tonight I'm bringing the box up to today's
-current before I poke at it any more.

--Andrew