Sun's AMD 64 lineup
OpenBSD Admin
2005-10-12 10:28:05 UTC
Does anyone have any experience with these sun boxes eg (the 'X' series
or aquarius are pretty new;

X2100
X4100
X4200
v20z
v40z

I'd expect openbsd would work a charm but would like to know for sure
before purchasing for a customer.

Cheers.
Teemu Schaabl
2005-10-12 10:43:55 UTC
Post by OpenBSD Admin
Does anyone have any experience with these sun boxes eg (the 'X' series
or aquarius are pretty new;
X2100
X4100
X4200
v20z
v40z
I'd expect openbsd would work a charm but would like to know for sure
before purchasing for a customer.
read the archives ..

--
"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision
for the limits of the world." - Schopenhauer

OpenBSD Admin
Did *you* read the archives ?
Teemu Schaabl
2005-10-13 06:13:51 UTC
Post by OpenBSD Admin
Post by Teemu Schaabl
Post by OpenBSD Admin
Does anyone have any experience with these sun boxes eg (the 'X' series
or aquarius are pretty new;
X2100
X4100
X4200
v20z
v40z
I'd expect openbsd would work a charm but would like to know for sure
before purchasing for a customer.
read the archives ..
Did *you* read the archives ?
I don't have to - it is you searching for info, there was
a thread about the x4100/2100 around the 29.09.05 (these machines
are too new, they still aren't available here in US, sun needs
certification for the power supplies as they told me), the
v40zs have also been covered in the past.

search for "Compatibility question for the New Sun X4100 .."

Teemu Schaabl
2005-10-13 06:24:59 UTC
Post by Teemu Schaabl
Post by OpenBSD Admin
Did *you* read the archives ?
I don't have to - it is you searching for info, there was
a thread about the x4100/2100 around the 29.09.05 (these machines
are too new, they still aren't available here in US, sun needs
^^^^^^^^^^^
should be europe

Daniel Ouellet
2005-10-12 19:28:32 UTC
Post by OpenBSD Admin
Does anyone have any experience with these sun boxes eg (the 'X' series
or aquarius are pretty new;
X2100
X4100
X4200
These three are new and not available now. Last time I check with Sun,
they will start to ship early November. So, I don't expect to many
feedback on these yet! (;>
Post by OpenBSD Admin
v20z
v40z
The archive provide feedback on them and well as the hardware support
page will give you some too.

Daniel
OpenBSD Admin
2005-10-12 19:44:59 UTC
Post by OpenBSD Admin
v20z
v40z
The archive provide feedback on them and well as the hardware support
page will give you some too.
Daniel
Thanks Daniel,

I was also advised by Sun that they would not be available until
november in Australia. I just assumed that they would be available
everywhere else before then.

Cheers.

Brian.
David Purdue
2005-10-12 22:47:33 UTC
X2100
X4100
X4200
I think Sun is going to be providing one of these as a Sunray server for
the AUUG 2005 conference (http://www.auug.org.au) - although the box
they supply may turn out to be a v40z.

If it is one of the new ones, at the end of the conference Adrian Close
and I will try running OpenBSD up on it. We'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

DavidP
OpenBSD Admin
2005-10-13 11:07:02 UTC
Post by David Purdue
X2100
X4100
X4200
I think Sun is going to be providing one of these as a Sunray server
for the AUUG 2005 conference (http://www.auug.org.au) - although the
box they supply may turn out to be a v40z.
If it is one of the new ones, at the end of the conference Adrian
Close and I will try running OpenBSD up on it. We'll let you know how
it goes.
Cheers,
DavidP
That would be great David, thanks.

Any chance if you can try and boot OpenBSD from one of the USB ports ?

Cheers.

Brian.

Reyk Floeter
2005-10-13 07:46:06 UTC
X2100
X4100
X4200
i'll have a look at a prototype next week. but i'm not sure if i have
enough time to fully test it. but i'll do my best and bootstrap the
amd64 port.

reyk
--
/* .vantronix|secure systems - (research & development)
* reyk floeter - friendly known free software engineer