Reboot trouble with APU2
Christer Solskogen
2017-12-25 20:04:32 UTC
All of a sudden, whenever I reboot my APU2 (this does not happen on my
APU1) - it stops. OpenBSD reboots successfully, but as soon as it boots up
(I can see the bios menu on the serial console) it just stops. I can not
see the OpenBSD boot loader.

This started happening approx 2 weeks ago, so it might be that my hardware
is failing. Or it might be a OpenBSD problem.
Power cycling the device "fixes" the issue. As in, I can boot normally. No
other problems, apparently.

I've been running on snapshots (amd64)
Normally I only reboot it when upgrading to a newer snapshot, and at first
I suspected it was installboot that was causing it. Just now I tried
upgrading it chose /not/ to run installboot. Still same problem, so
installboot was just a red herring.

What can I do to help investigate this futher?
Emille Blanc
2017-12-25 22:57:38 UTC
Post by Christer Solskogen
All of a sudden, whenever I reboot my APU2 (this does not happen on my
APU1) - it stops. OpenBSD reboots successfully, but as soon as it boots up
(I can see the bios menu on the serial console) it just stops. I can not
see the OpenBSD boot loader.
This started happening approx 2 weeks ago, so it might be that my hardware
is failing. Or it might be a OpenBSD problem.
Power cycling the device "fixes" the issue. As in, I can boot
normally. No
other problems, apparently.
I've been running on snapshots (amd64)
Normally I only reboot it when upgrading to a newer snapshot, and at first
I suspected it was installboot that was causing it. Just now I tried
upgrading it chose /not/ to run installboot. Still same problem, so
installboot was just a red herring.
What can I do to help investigate this futher?
For what it's worth, I encountered this issue on the APU2 while using
certain kinds of USB Flash Drives.
Anything other than a Kingston Datatraveler would cause the APU to
hang.

I just replaced the USB drive in one case, and vaguely recall updating
the board's coreboot to the latest version also helped in at least one
other. It was a while ago now, but something to do with changing the
boot order not saving, so it would never try anything other than USB
first if connected.