mpv zombie process, lock sound device upon suspending process
Klemens Nanni
2017-12-26 13:44:00 UTC
If someone can give it a try, I had found no solution to free the sound device or to kill a
mpv zpmbie process.
Inside a tmux panel, while playing any audio/video, hit CTRL+Z . Then you will not be able to
resume the process with fg, neither kill it, and it will lock the sound device until next
reboot.
After suspending it, the mpv process will be stopped, indicated by
ps(1) with the T state.

Sending a SIGCONT signal continues the mpv process which will eventually
exit.
Marc Espie
2017-12-30 02:20:23 UTC
Post by Klemens Nanni
If someone can give it a try, I had found no solution to free the sound device or to kill a
mpv zpmbie process.
Inside a tmux panel, while playing any audio/video, hit CTRL+Z . Then you will not be able
resume the process with fg, neither kill it, and it will lock the sound device until next
reboot.
After suspending it, the mpv process will be stopped, indicated by
ps(1) with the T state.
Sending a SIGCONT signal continues the mpv process which will eventually
exit.
You are right, I was able to continue it. Thank you.
I cannot reproduce the problem anymore. In the past the state was "pk", if I remember well
not "T".
That's a new one, suspended mpv exits on continue for me.

I've looked vaguely, the signal handlers seem to be making assumptions that
are completely crazy on a threaded program (remember that *any thread*
will pick the signal up).