is there foomatic-rip for lpd on openBSD 6.3?
Rudolf Sykora
2018-04-09 14:52:36 UTC
Hello,

I want to print from openBSD 6.3. I tried to use lpd and found
some information on the web about setting up /etc/printcap.
Many texts use the foomatic-rip program. I can't find one
in ports. Is there anything instead? What's the recommended
way to set up printing?

Thanks for any comments
Ruda
Gleydson Soares
2018-04-09 15:04:15 UTC
Post by Rudolf Sykora
Hello,
I want to print from openBSD 6.3. I tried to use lpd and found
some information on the web about setting up /etc/printcap.
Many texts use the foomatic-rip program. I can't find one
in ports. Is there anything instead? What's the recommended
way to set up printing?
i've been using cups and works.
Post by Rudolf Sykora
Thanks for any comments
Ruda
Heppler, J. Scott
2018-04-09 16:33:42 UTC
It is in print/cups-filters

http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/~checkout~/ports/print/cups-filters/pkg/README?rev=1.9&content-type=text/plain
J. Scott Heppler
Predrag Punosevac
2018-04-09 23:43:36 UTC
Post by Gleydson Soares
Post by Rudolf Sykora
Hello,
I want to print from openBSD 6.3. I tried to use lpd and found
some information on the web about setting up /etc/printcap.
Around here we actually read man pages and pkg-readmes

***@oko$ uname -a
OpenBSD oko.bagdala2.net 6.3 GENERIC.MP#107 amd64

Please check for foomatic-rip filters explanation which was
intensionally broken by upstream for LPD spooling

/usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/cups-filters-1.20.1

You should also try to find your answer by searching first

***@openbsd and ***@openbsd

Here is my post which would have answered your question.

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=141490031517069&w=2
Post by Gleydson Soares
Post by Rudolf Sykora
Many texts use the foomatic-rip program. I can't find one
in ports. Is there anything instead? What's the recommended
way to set up printing?
i've been using cups and works.
Most of OpenBSD guys I personally know are big believers in KISS
principle. Answering original question with a suggestion that a simple
functionality available from the base should be replaced with a very
complicated external program is a bad advise.

Predrag
Post by Gleydson Soares
Post by Rudolf Sykora
Thanks for any comments
Ruda
Rudolf Sykora
2018-04-10 07:28:53 UTC
Dear Predrag,
Post by Predrag Punosevac
Around here we actually read man pages and pkg-readmes
I do read man pages. But 1) As far as I can tell, you will not find any
information anywhere about foomatic-rip (or any other smart filter)
when you just install the system, and 2), on a similar note, you can
only read pkg-readmes when you have the packages already installed.
I didn't know it all goes with the cups-filters package.
Post by Predrag Punosevac
Here is my post which would have answered your question.
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=141490031517069&w=2
No.
I read your post before I asked. It's actually one of the few
things I found. But there you say: install foomatic-rip. It does
not mention where to get it.

Thanks
Ruda
Theo Buehler
2018-04-10 07:58:10 UTC
Post by Rudolf Sykora
Dear Predrag,
Post by Predrag Punosevac
Around here we actually read man pages and pkg-readmes
I do read man pages. But 1) As far as I can tell, you will not find any
information anywhere about foomatic-rip (or any other smart filter)
use the pkglocatedb package:
https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html#PkgFind
Rudolf Sykora
2018-04-10 08:07:27 UTC
Post by Theo Buehler
Post by Rudolf Sykora
I do read man pages. But 1) As far as I can tell, you will not find any
information anywhere about foomatic-rip (or any other smart filter)
https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html#PkgFind
Ok. This is good to know.
Thanks
Ruda