IPMI still requires Java! I'm screwed.
Chris Bennett
2017-12-20 21:03:50 UTC
I found a new server that uses IPMI and offers using it
to setup your own custom OS. So I bought in.

Damn thing requires Java.
They offered me some pretty worthless advice on using
Java.

I'm screwed into having to use Windows 7.
I've tried the Firefox ESR 32bit that supports Java.
Nope.
Opera. Nope
Edge. Nope
Chrome. Nope, including trying to use IEtab

Is it actually possible to get any web browser to
open a Java applet?

I'm using a friends laptop and it can't stay on while
in the BIOS or after booting OpenBSD just to the point
of running memtest.

I'm a bit confused about what to do.
They offer IPMI that won't work without Java.

Is this even anything more than a scam??
I don't know squat about windows other than it sucks.

Serious question:
Is it acceptable practice to offer remote access that
cannot be used?
Torsten
2017-12-20 21:13:03 UTC
NO,
Just download ipmiview from SM and use the build in viewer and all is OK
The power can still be managed with the web site.

IPMI vire requires java.exe on your PC but rund independently of any browser

kasak
Look at the newest servers with aspeed ast2500, such as supermicro x11 platforms, they are manageable through html5. If you still need to manage your server try jdk-1.8.0.144v0.tgz package from ports
Lyndon Nerenberg
2017-12-21 06:02:42 UTC
We manage to deal with all our servers using the IPMI serial console redirect. You might need to set it up in the BIOS once, although we've not had to do that in ages. You do have to create the IPMI remote login/password, but you need that anyway if you're trying to use the web/java console.

--lyndon
Maxim Bourmistrov
kasak
Just by updating firmware? What a pity, Asus hasn’t upgraded firmwares to support html5, I have some of them in usage with p10 platforms
Maxim Bourmistrov
2017-12-21 14:11:21 UTC
Yepp.
I have
bios0: Supermicro X10DRT-PT
With latest IPMI firmware and have html5.
Robert Blacquiere
2017-12-21 15:22:09 UTC
On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 08:50:02AM +0300, kasak wrote:
<snip>
Post by kasak
Look at the newest servers with aspeed ast2500, such as supermicro x11 platforms, they are manageable through html5. If you still need to manage your server try jdk-1.8.0.144v0.tgz package from ports
You could also try running linux in vm with icedtea-Web plugin for
firefox on linux. That seems to work with older SuperMicro machines
without much issues. Also the bundled IPMIviewer for linux works fine.
The main issue is with the IPMI (from ATEN) is it uses iKVM.jar which is
not supported for a lot of OS-ses.

Regards

Robert
Alceu R. de Freitas Jr.
2017-12-21 17:04:50 UTC
I'm a bit late to answer, but maybe you could check with the manufacturer?
Java applets are gone... Oracle will not support them anymore due security issues, so maybe the manufacturer could give you a hand on this.
If they don't, maybe you could try some reverse engineering? Unless the manufacturer spent time (and money) running the Java applet into some code obfuscation software, there are good chances you can checkout what's the code does. Or even using a network sniffer, whatever seems to be easier.
Of course, none of those are easy/fast ways to get your trouble resolved. That's why sucks to buy things with proprietary code attached. If they decide to not support the product anymore, you're screwed.

Robert
Stuart Henderson
2017-12-22 14:09:23 UTC
Post by Robert Blacquiere
<snip>
Post by kasak
Look at the newest servers with aspeed ast2500, such as supermicro x11 platforms, they are manageable through html5. If you still need to manage your server try jdk-1.8.0.144v0.tgz package from ports
You could also try running linux in vm with icedtea-Web plugin for
firefox on linux. That seems to work with older SuperMicro machines
without much issues. Also the bundled IPMIviewer for linux works fine.
Some of these work with the version of noVNC ("bmc-support" branch)
that is in ports.

Chris Bennett
2017-12-21 17:59:31 UTC