OpenBSD 6.2 (up2date with syspatch) - HANGING
Maxim Bourmistrov
2017-12-21 19:29:02 UTC
Hey,
After upgrading from 6.0-stable to 6.2-stable (syspatch) existing setup started to hang.
As of burst of emails from me following is known:

Relayd is a main process to take CPU.
Also running ospfd and bgpd (for blocklist distrib)

With 6.0, relayd used to have two or more procs with high CPU usage (99,9% - 100%, per core).
Now, setup is just adjusted to conform new reality with TLS protocol, all just hangs.
No core (even it is enabled in sysctl), no panic - nothing.
Syslog sending to remote shows nothing.

I know, it is now enough for any debug and troubleshooting at all.
Just FYI.

Any ideas are welcome.

//mxb
Maxim Bourmistrov
2017-12-21 19:43:50 UTC
The first node out of two started to respond as soon as second one got reset.
I don’t see any saturation on the network stack.
"Netstat -m” shows 0 for mem denied.
Sysctl -a|grep ifq
or
Sysctl -a|grep drop
Shows 0 as well.

Whole thing looked like a tcp/ip stack hang.

//mxb
//mxb
Maxim Bourmistrov
2017-12-21 20:58:18 UTC
Sorry, but I have to say
Releases after 5.9 are NOT production stable.
(Until all bugs are smashed within stack changes and SMP unlock).
After 5.9 - cost money and effort.
MONEY.

//mxb
//mxb
Maxim Bourmistrov
2017-12-21 21:20:16 UTC
I had to bypass relayd to roll prod stable.
Down to apache. Taking care of http and https.
By redirect.
Now this setup (if I can call it) is stable.

.

P.S.
Looks like we have to move forward from here.
//mxb
Florian Obser
2017-12-22 12:43:35 UTC
Post by Maxim Bourmistrov
I had to bypass relayd to roll prod stable.
Down to apache. Taking care of http and https.
By redirect.
Now this setup (if I can call it) is stable.
.
P.S.
Looks like we have to move forward from here.
Buy an appliance and get off my lawn.
Post by Maxim Bourmistrov
Post by Maxim Bourmistrov
Sorry, but I have to say
Releases after 5.9 are NOT production stable.
(Until all bugs are smashed within stack changes and SMP unlock).
After 5.9 - cost money and effort.
MONEY.
Yes, quite a lot of effort and money (think travel cost to hackathons)
was spent by developers between 5.9 and 6.2 releases.
You are welcome.
I'm not entirely sure you are real.
Marko Cupać
2017-12-25 10:56:26 UTC
On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 13:43:35 +0100
Post by Florian Obser
Yes, quite a lot of effort and money (think travel cost to hackathons)
was spent by developers between 5.9 and 6.2 releases.
You are welcome.
Somehow I have the impression that most of the OpenBSD code wasn't
written in fancy guest facilities where priesthood arrives and departs
by means of business class flights to churn out some lines of code. The
time when it wasn't all about MONEY.

But yeah, we have to embrace modern times and not hold on to the past.

<ducks>

Still, OpenBSD is the best :)
After enlightenment - chop wood, draw water.

Marko Cupać
https://www.mimar.rs/
Maxim Bourmistrov
2017-12-21 22:07:30 UTC
Solved?1

What abt OPTIONS in relay_http.c ?
Solved?
Maybe in HEAD.(?)
I have to hand-rolle this in src for 6.2 to have it working.
—> toread=0;
You know.

//mxb
As long as they get quality reports like this, it would soon be solved.
Maxim Bourmistrov
2017-12-21 22:20:18 UTC
Fixed in HEAD?! - my ass. Whom puts HEAD into prod?! Not me any more, that's for sure.
IS LIKE DROPPING A TURBO ENGINE INTO A CAR WITH NO WHEELS.

I can dig into this as much as I want/like ON MY OWN TIME.
But if MONEY are on the table…….

I think I’ll revert to 5.9 all of it.

//mxb
Stuart Henderson
2017-12-21 22:52:04 UTC
Post by Maxim Bourmistrov
Fixed in HEAD?! - my ass. Whom puts HEAD into prod?! Not me any more, that's for sure.
IS LIKE DROPPING A TURBO ENGINE INTO A CAR WITH NO WHEELS.
I can dig into this as much as I want/like ON MY OWN TIME.
But if MONEY are on the table…….
If money is on the table, perhaps you could contract someone to look at
your problems. Though unless you give a bit more information than in your
mails you'll be wasting money while someone figures out what you're
talking about.
Post by Maxim Bourmistrov
I think I’ll revert to 5.9 all of it.
Your call. Seems hell of a lot easier to take relayd/relayctl up to
-current for a test than reinstall to 5.9 though.
Maxim Bourmistrov
2017-12-21 22:33:23 UTC
6.2-stable is NOT STABLE.
Backport, backport,backport.

6.2-stable is a beta release.
This is what its IS.

5.9 vs. 6.2 - last one is a major downwards.
I know a lot of stuff done in tcp/ip stack and this is a good job (abt time to ack SMP), but
Keep those changes in beta, don’t tell ”we have rel and stable here. Eat it”.

//mxb
Post by Maxim Bourmistrov
Fixed in HEAD?! - my ass. Whom puts HEAD into prod?! Not me any more, that's for sure.
IS LIKE DROPPING A TURBO ENGINE INTO CAR WITH NO WHEELS.
Antoine Jacoutot
2017-12-22 09:23:50 UTC
Post by Maxim Bourmistrov
6.2-stable is NOT STABLE.
Backport, backport,backport.
6.2-stable is a beta release.
This is what its IS.
5.9 vs. 6.2 - last one is a major downwards.
I know a lot of stuff done in tcp/ip stack and this is a good job (abt time to ack SMP), but
Keep those changes in beta, don’t tell ”we have rel and stable here. Eat it”.
reason misc@ exists, it's so that people like you can vomit whatever / wherever
while keeping us out of the loop.
Antoine
George
2017-12-22 03:47:47 UTC
Hi guys,

I got the apu2b4 to build a wifi router with an Intel Dual Band
Wireless AC 7260 wifi module. The module firmware was loaded by
fw_update at first boot and connecting to my existing AP works but when

I try to set it up as an access point with:

ifconfig iwm0 up media autoselect mediaopt hostap mode 11g nwid MySSID
wpakey MyKey

I get in ifconfig iwm0
status: no network

and associating/connecting from my Linux laptop does not work... I am
not even seeing the AP with this "MySSID" in the scan listing. Any
suggestions or ideas as to what might be wrong are welcome.

TIA
George
Carlos Cardenas
2017-12-22 05:25:44 UTC
Post by George
Hi guys,
I got the apu2b4 to build a wifi router with an Intel Dual Band
Wireless AC 7260 wifi module. The module firmware was loaded by
fw_update at first boot and connecting to my existing AP works but when
ifconfig iwm0 up media autoselect mediaopt hostap mode 11g nwid MySSID
wpakey MyKey
I get in ifconfig iwm0
status: no network
and associating/connecting from my Linux laptop does not work... I am
not even seeing the AP with this "MySSID" in the scan listing. Any
suggestions or ideas as to what might be wrong are welcome.
TIA
George
George,

iwm(4) is not capable for access point usage.

Check out https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html#Wireless for a list.

+--+
Carlos
George
2017-12-23 01:32:31 UTC
On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 21:25:44 -0800
Post by Carlos Cardenas
Post by George
[...]
Hehe doh ... should've checked before ordering it.
Thanks Carlos!

Cheers,
George
George
2017-12-23 01:53:50 UTC
Post by Carlos Cardenas
Post by George
[...]
Sorry but now I have another question I live in Canada and the
PCEngines website points to one reseller here and they seem to not have
the right card:

https://corpshadow.biz/bizstore/system-components/wireless-components/radio-cards/

any idea where I can get one preferably in Canada.

Thanks in advance.
George
Carlos Cardenas
2017-12-23 02:00:37 UTC
Post by Carlos Cardenas
Post by George
[...]
They had the WLE200NX listed on the page:
https://corpshadow.biz/bizstore/compex/dualband-80211n-mimo-2x2-minipcie.html

If you don't like that card, you can always pick something up on ebay.

+--+
Carlos
George
2017-12-23 04:04:25 UTC
Post by Carlos Cardenas
Post by George
[...]
Actually no that will work I was looking at the ath not the athn driver
that's why I thought it does not.

Thanks Carlos
Steve Williams
2017-12-23 19:36:03 UTC
Post by Carlos Cardenas
Post by George
[...]
Hi,

I have one of those cards (WLE200NX ) in my APU.  Be aware that OpenBSD
drivers don't give very fast performance for it.  Lots about it in the
email list archives.

Mine shows up (OpenBSD 6.1) as:

athn0 at pci4 dev 0 function 0 "Atheros AR9281" rev 0x01: apic 5 int 16
athn0: AR9280 rev 2 (2T2R), ROM rev 22, address 04:f0:21:1b:b3:68

Cheers,
Steve Williams
George
2018-01-13 12:28:28 UTC
On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 12:36:03 -0700
Post by Steve Williams
Post by Carlos Cardenas
Post by George
[...]
Thanks Steve that is good to know. Do you have any numbers to share,
comparison under different OS maybe?
Regards,
George
Post by Steve Williams
Cheers,
Steve Williams
Stefan Sperling
2018-01-13 13:00:57 UTC
Post by Steve Williams
I have one of those cards (WLE200NX ) in my APU.  Be aware that
OpenBSD drivers don't give very fast performance for it.  Lots about
it in the email list archives.
athn0 at pci4 dev 0 function 0 "Atheros AR9281" rev 0x01: apic 5
int 16 athn0: AR9280 rev 2 (2T2R), ROM rev 22, address
04:f0:21:1b:b3:68
Thanks Steve that is good to know. Do you have any numbers to share,
comparison under different OS maybe?
Regards,
George
Devices supported by the new bwfm(4) driver could be interesting as well.
http://man.openbsd.org/bwfm
This driver is not yet enabled by default in -current but performance
looks promising and it does support hostap mode already.

Note that these devices use a relatively huge(*) closed-source proprietary
firmware which gives the driver relatively little control over operation
of the device. This means security of these devices is the responsibility
of Broadcom alone, and there is no way around this. We cannot make any
promises regarding security. Do not buy these products if that worries you.

(*) This firmware contains a complete 11ac wireless stack implementation,
i.e. all of the functionality our code base ships in sys/net80211/ and
much more. What appears to the OS looks almost like an Ethernet device.
If^WWhen a serious bug is found after Broadcom ends support, these
devices become dangerous.