VMM 6.9amd64 host video acceleration
Martin
2021-05-12 13:15:12 UTC
Hi list,

Just wonder how to enable video acceleration on VMM guest's side (Debian) if it was possible. Maybe PCIe passthru should be present for that purpose?

virtio_vmmci and vmm_clock kernel driver modules doesn't help.

Martin
Dave Voutila
2021-05-12 13:43:55 UTC
Post by Martin
Hi list,
Just wonder how to enable video acceleration on VMM guest's side (Debian) if it was possible. Maybe PCIe passthru should be present for that purpose?
There is nothing to accelerate: vmd(8) doesn't emulate a display or
video device. vmm(4) doesn't support pass-through to host hardware
either.

-dv
Martin

-dv
Theo de Raadt
-dv
Martin

-dv
Theo de Raadt
-dv
Theo de Raadt
-dv
Martin

2021-05-12 18:57:44 UTC
I use TigerVNC server on the Linux VM (Debian) plus dummy video driver and compiled vmm kernel modules for clock in sync and network...
https://github.com/voutilad/virtio_vmmci
https://github.com/voutilad/vmm_clock

On the OpenBSD host TigerVNC viewer has been installed.

Works absolutely amazing, like a physical computer.

For completely headless system I'd prefer OpenBSD and Alpine on VM. It depends on goals.

Martin

2021-05-12 21:30:37 UTC
I just have to say this hatred and twisting of facts could be due to
my mindness promotion of our operating system.

I've hurt a lot of people. Jealousy is a m*.

--Murk
-dv
BergenBergen BergenBergen

-dv
Mike Larkin
2021-05-12 18:20:56 UTC
Post by Martin
Hi Dave,
Can you recommend any way to see online videos without shuttering? Modern CPUs can't smoothly play it in software emulation, unfortunately.
pkg_add youtube-dl

pkg_add firefox (or chrome, etc)

What's the problem here? Are you trying to watch 8k 240Hz videos or something?
Martin
-dv
Martin

-dv
Luke A. Call
2021-05-12 20:12:56 UTC
I think there are ways to get what you want w/o VMM, such as a
combination of regular X, separate user accounts for different
activities, ssh -X/-Y, and rarely, xhost. Email me off-list if you want
details; I have described them here at least somewhat, in the past.

(Also given the fact that chrome/iridium and I think FF use
pledge/unveil now.)
2021-05-13 10:00:11 UTC
By the way,

While running Firefox on OpenBSD host I have repeatedly appearing console messages like below:

###!!! [Parent][MessageChannel] Error: (msgtype=0x6A0008,name=PMessagePort::Msg___delete__) Channel closing: too late to send/recv, messages will be lost

###!!! [Parent][RunMessage] Error: Channel closing: too late to send/recv, messages will be lost

LibGl error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open radeonsi (search path /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri
LibGl error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
LibGl error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open swrast (search path /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri)
LibGl error: failed to load driver: swrast

Any advice is this normal or not?

Martin

-dv
James Cook
2021-05-16 13:08:35 UTC
Post by Martin
By the way,
###!!! [Parent][MessageChannel] Error: (msgtype=0x6A0008,name=PMessagePort::Msg___delete__) Channel closing: too late to send/recv, messages will be lost
###!!! [Parent][RunMessage] Error: Channel closing: too late to send/recv, messages will be lost
LibGl error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open radeonsi (search path /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri
LibGl error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
LibGl error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open swrast (search path /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri)
LibGl error: failed to load driver: swrast
Any advice is this normal or not?
Martin
On my system at least, firefox tends to output some errrors on the
console. I think some involved "Channel closing". If it would help, I
can keep more careful track and report them to the list.

The LibGl errors look less familiar. Stab in the dark: are your ports
and system in sync? (I always run pkg_add -u after upgrading to a new
snapshot.)
James
Martin
2021-05-17 08:44:34 UTC
Hi James,

Yes, packages are in sync with 6.9/packages.

The computer is relatively modern based on AMD Ryzen 4750U with integrated Radeon Graphics.

Radeon uses http://firmware.openbsd.org/firmware/6.9/amdgpu-firmware-20201218.tgz from /etc/firmware/amdgpu

So LibGL should load by MESA-LOADER: /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri without problems as I think. The firmware is actual and supports integrated Radeon since 6.9.

Maybe somebody knows what can affect on LibGl? I can't determine root of the problem.

Martin

[...]
James