vmctl start: vm command failed: Operation already in progress (no one VM run in the same time)
Martin
2021-05-25 08:10:08 UTC
Hi list,

Try to start VM from previously (<6.9) working command as below:

$ doas /usr/sbin/vmctl start -m 8G -c -n vmlan -d /path/to/vm.qcow2 vm

Now I have trouble with it on 6.9amd64 with 1-5 patches installed.

$ doas rcctl status vmd
vmd(ok)

command above returns:
vmctl start: vm command failed: Operation already in progress

Even if "$ vmctl check" shows ALL machines are stopped

if I stopped vmd I see proper error with non active vmd.sock
$ doas rcctl stop vmd
vmd(ok)

vmctl: connect: /var/run/vmd.sock: connection refused

Any suggestions can help.

Martin
Dave Voutila
2021-05-25 10:57:37 UTC
Post by Martin
$ doas /usr/sbin/vmctl start -m 8G -c -n vmlan -d /path/to/vm.qcow2 vm
Now I have trouble with it on 6.9amd64 with 1-5 patches installed.
$ doas rcctl status vmd
vmd(ok)
vmctl start: vm command failed: Operation already in progress
Common cause of this is having the vm already defined in vm.conf. Run
vmd with verbose logging, ideally in the foreground, and please share
the output.
Martin