Mic mute button doesn't work
Subhaditya Nath
2021-06-03 16:02:40 UTC
Hi

I have noticed that the Microphone Mute button on my Thinkpad E495 doesn't
actually cause the Microphone to be muted.

NOTE: I have already set kern.audio.record=1

Expected behaviour -
------------------
Pressing the MicMute button causes the equivalent of `sndioctl input.mute=!`
i.e. it toggles the `input.mute` parameter of sndio

Actual behaviour -
---------------
Pressing the MicMute button does not cause the `input.mute` parameter to be
toggled. So, the mic audio is not muted.

How can I fix this?
Ashton Fagg
How can I fix this?
f6k
2021-06-04 08:21:09 UTC
Hello,
Post by Subhaditya Nath
Hi
I have noticed that the Microphone Mute button on my Thinkpad E495 doesn't
actually cause the Microphone to be muted.
Some time ago I noticed too that some of my Multimedia Function Keys didn't
work either on my newish Thinkpad X270 --- including the Mute Microphone one.
Even, when you try some of those keys with xev(1), nothing at all will show
up.

The expected behaviour with xev(1) for a working Multimedia Function Key would
be, for instance with F1/Mute Audio Key:

KeyRelease event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x2a00001,
root 0x5a6, subw 0x0, time 221798031, (150,103), root:(395,196),
state 0x0, keycode 160 (keysym 0x1008ff12, XF86AudioMute), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
XFilterEvent returns: False

When I try with F4/Mute Microphone Key, and some others, I just have nothing.
For information, the working one on the Thinkpad X270 are XF86AudioMute,
XF86AudioLowerVolume, XF86AudioRaiseVolume, plus the two for Brightness (even
if xev(1) doesn't show nothing for them).

I had the chance and opportunity to directly talk to jcs@ who explained to me
that on some relatively recent Thinkpad those missing Multimedia Keys might
not pass through since they just aren't implemented. You can check what is
available for now in `sys/dev/acpi/acpithinkpad.c'.

Unfortunately I don't have the skills to properly understand that file, not
even talking about implementing my missing keys. But if you do have those
skills, you could implement, test, and kindly send a diff to ***@.

Sincerly,

-f6k
--