Backup OBSD router at 6.7, anyway to upgrade it to 6.9???
Jay Hart
2021-05-18 00:26:25 UTC
I lost internet access today for 4 hours due to a network problem. Trying to troubleshoot the problem I ended up placing my backup router
in service.

Its still at 6.7, it there anyway I can update it to 6.9 without doing a full re-install, or has the only train left the station?

Thanks in advance,

Jay
Allan Streib
2021-05-18 01:13:01 UTC
Post by Jay Hart
I lost internet access today for 4 hours due to a network problem. Trying to troubleshoot the problem I ended up placing my backup router
in service.
Its still at 6.7, it there anyway I can update it to 6.9 without doing a full re-install, or has the only train left the station?
Any reason you don't want to go 6.7 -> 6.8 -> 6.9?

I went from 6.5 to 6.8 that way for one machine. You do have to review
the upgrade guides for any breaking changes though.

Allan
Jay Hart
2021-05-18 01:16:28 UTC
Post by Allan Streib
Post by Jay Hart
I lost internet access today for 4 hours due to a network problem. Trying to troubleshoot the problem I ended up placing my backup
router
in service.
Its still at 6.7, it there anyway I can update it to 6.9 without doing a full re-install, or has the only train left the station?
Any reason you don't want to go 6.7 -> 6.8 -> 6.9?
I went from 6.5 to 6.8 that way for one machine. You do have to review
the upgrade guides for any breaking changes though.
Allan
I absolutely do want to go 6.7 -> 6.8 -> 6.9. Sysupgrade won't do it, so I assume its a manual process at least from 6.7 to 6.8??

Jay
Nick Holland
2021-05-18 01:28:20 UTC
Post by Jay Hart
Post by Allan Streib
Post by Jay Hart
I lost internet access today for 4 hours due to a network
problem. Trying to troubleshoot the problem I ended up placing
my backup router in service.
Its still at 6.7, it there anyway I can update it to 6.9 without
doing a full re-install, or has the only train left the station?
Any reason you don't want to go 6.7 -> 6.8 -> 6.9?
I went from 6.5 to 6.8 that way for one machine. You do have to
review the upgrade guides for any breaking changes though.
Allan
I absolutely do want to go 6.7 -> 6.8 -> 6.9. Sysupgrade won't do
it, so I assume its a manual process at least from 6.7 to 6.8??
Jay
Naw. sysupgrade will take 6.7 to 6.8. Run again, you will go
from 6.8 to 6.9. Easy, as long as the mirror you chose has all
the steps in the middle (they should all have 6.8 and 6.9, but
can be an issue for "bigger" spreads).

I, too, have done "Bigger than proper" jumps, but I know how to
clean up the mess and my backups are pretty good in case I'm wrong
about knowing how to clean up the mess. ;)

Nick.
Stuart Longland
2021-05-24 23:59:01 UTC
On Mon, 17 May 2021 20:26:25 -0400
Post by Jay Hart
Its still at 6.7, it there anyway I can update it to 6.9 without
doing a full re-install, or has the only train left the station?
I updated my Loongson netbook from OpenBSD 6.6 on the week-end to 6.9… the process I followed:

1. download bsd.rd for OpenBSD 6.7 from ftp.openbsd.org
2. boot it, do an "Upgrade"
3. once booted into OpenBSD 6.7, do `sysupgrade` to get to 6.8
4. once booted into OpenBSD 6.8, do `sysupgrade` to get to 6.9

Note that in my case, I had some fiddling inside PMON2000 to switch the
image from /bsd to /bsd.rd and back again at each step as the
installer/`sysupgrade` does not do this for you. On AMD64, this should not
be a problem. you should be able to a `sysupgrade`

Worst case scenario might be temporarily changing /etc/installurl to
ftp.openbsd.org to obtain the necessary files.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.
Jay Hart
2021-05-25 00:09:34 UTC
Post by Jay Hart
Its still at 6.7, it there anyway I can update it to 6.9 without
doing a full re-install, or has the only train left the station?
1. download bsd.rd for OpenBSD 6.7 from ftp.openbsd.org
2. boot it, do an "Upgrade"
3. once booted into OpenBSD 6.7, do `sysupgrade` to get to 6.8
4. once booted into OpenBSD 6.8, do `sysupgrade` to get to 6.9
Note that in my case, I had some fiddling inside PMON2000 to switch the
image from /bsd to /bsd.rd and back again at each step as the
installer/`sysupgrade` does not do this for you. On AMD64, this should not
be a problem. you should be able to a `sysupgrade`
Worst case scenario might be temporarily changing /etc/installurl to
ftp.openbsd.org to obtain the necessary files.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)
I haven't lost my mind...
...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.
Stuart,

I'm glad it worked for you as well. I was able to run through sysupgrade and get my box updated to 6.9 as well.

Jay