Wifi Configuration | Realtek RTL8191SE
Luiz Moraes
2015-12-11 15:38:24 UTC
Hi Everyone,
Im a Linux user (Slackware) and now i decided to try OpenBSD as my main
OS on my laptop, the only thing that i couldn't solve is to make my Wifi
card works on OpenBSD.
It's a Realtek RTL8191SE PCI. I tried to compile Linux Driver with no
success and there is no ndiswrapper substitute on OpenBSD. How can i solve?
Is there anyone here that already had this kind of challenge?

Some commands output:

*#dmesg | grep pci1 *

*pci1 at ppb0 bus 2*
*vendor "Realtek". unknown product 0x8171 (class network subclass
miscellaneous, rev 0x10) at pci1 dev 0 funcion 0 not configured*

*#pcidump*

*Domain /dev/pci0:*
*2:0:0: Realtek uknown*
*3:0:0: Realtek 8101E *(Essa é a re0, ethernet wired do note)

Luiz Diego Fernandes de Moraes
Stefan Sperling
2015-12-11 16:11:01 UTC
Post by Luiz Moraes
Hi Everyone,
Im a Linux user (Slackware) and now i decided to try OpenBSD as my main
OS on my laptop, the only thing that i couldn't solve is to make my Wifi
card works on OpenBSD.
It's a Realtek RTL8191SE PCI. I tried to compile Linux Driver with no
success and there is no ndiswrapper substitute on OpenBSD. How can i solve?
New code needs to be written specifically for OpenBSD to support your device.
The driver which may eventually support your card is rtwn(4).
Luiz Moraes
2015-12-11 16:37:54 UTC
Hi Stefan,
I already downloaded from http://firmware.openbsd.org/firmware/5.8/ the
firmwares *rtwn*, *rsu and* u*rtwn *and installed them all with *fw_update*,
later i restarted the laptop but the status on *dmesg *is the same.

I really would like to can keep OpenBSD as the main OS, but maybe i'll
have to get FreeBSD to use the *ndisgen (*Is the ndiswrapper for FreeBSD
and DragonflyBSD).
Can i get the *ndisgen *from FreeBSD and run on OpenBSD? (I woulnd like
to change it, but if the OpenBSD doesnt give me options i'll have to find a
way to keep me with it)

Stefan Sperling
2015-12-11 17:28:57 UTC
Post by Luiz Moraes
Hi Stefan,
I already downloaded from http://firmware.openbsd.org/firmware/5.8/ the
firmwares *rtwn*, *rsu and* u*rtwn *and installed them all with *fw_update*,
later i restarted the laptop but the status on *dmesg *is the same.
There's a difference between driver and firmware code.
The driver runs on the OpenBSD kernel (it's part of the /bsd file)
and the firmare is loaded into the device as part of making
the device operational.

The rtwn(4) driver only supports RTL 8188CE devices at present.
Your chip is a cousin of that chip, but it's different and the
driver does not know how to make it work yet. Once the driver
supports your chip, the required firmware will also be shipped
in the rtwn-firmware package.
Post by Luiz Moraes
I really would like to can keep OpenBSD as the main OS, but maybe i'll
have to get FreeBSD to use the *ndisgen (*Is the ndiswrapper for FreeBSD
and DragonflyBSD).
You could also use a support USB wireless device, for now.
Run this command:
man -k wireless
to see a list of drivers and look at the USB ones.

With some effort you'll be able to find a supported device, for sure.
I often find supported devices on ebay for just 1 euro + shipping.

You can also find some USB devices supported by run(4), urtwn(4),
or athn(4) sold new in some stores around the world. But with
used devices chances of support are somewhat higher.

If your machine is a laptop that has a cardbus or express card slot,
you could also try to find a cardbus card supported by drivers such
as ath(4) and ral(4) (+ cardbus -> express card adapter if needed).
These tend to work very well.

Note that the time you would spend on hunting down a supported device
is very small compared to the time it takes to add code to the driver
to support your device. Eventually somebody (maybe me) may find time
to add this support. It would take me at least a week of sitting down
and working hard. I'd need to take that time out of other things in
life, so I cannot promise anything. Developers who have never done
this before would need even more time.
That said, my plan already was, before your mail, to support more realtek
devices in rtwn(4) eventually. I just don't know when it will happen.
Post by Luiz Moraes
Can i get the *ndisgen *from FreeBSD and run on OpenBSD? (I woulnd like
to change it, but if the OpenBSD doesnt give me options i'll have to find a
way to keep me with it)
No. There is no support for binary blobs in OpenBSD, and there never will be.
We prefer writing code that makes blobs unnecessary.
Luiz Moraes
2015-12-11 17:38:05 UTC
Stefan,
Thank you very very much for your attention. When i grow up, i would
like to be like you =P. Unfortunatelly I don't program anymore, to get the
knowledge to do this i'll spend a lot of time, but it's my intention to
come back to study computer programming and maybe in a future helps the
OpenBSD team.
I understand your cares to keep the originality of the OS and that's
what makes me and others to prefer to use the OpenBSD.

Thank you very much!

Christoph R. Murauer
2015-12-11 18:35:49 UTC
Hello !

As workaround you could look - for example - at the following USB WiFi
adapter.

TP-LINK WN725NN (should be that model but I am not 100% sure)
Edimax EW-7811Un

Booth work (not perfect) with urtwn. I had to many WiFi networks
around me so, I switched back to a Android tablet and use USB
tethering for my internet connection (LTE).