sane-backends permission problems
Allan Streib
2021-05-17 21:21:16 UTC
Had the same problem today. sane-find-scanner returned...

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x2206 [CanoScan], chip=LM9832/3) at libusb:002:002

...but scanimage -L found no scanners. This scanner uses the
sane-plustek backend, so I added my user to the _saned group, and I had
changed the ownership on (in my case) /dev/ugen0.* and /dev/usb2 per the
sane-backends pkg-readme. Something else was wrong.

Running the the scanimage program under ktrace revealed:

98418 scanimage NAMI "/var/spool/lock/LCK..libusb:002:002"
98418 scanimage RET open -1 errno 13 Permission denied

Looking at /ver/spool/lock, it appears that this lockfile should be
created in the sane/ subdirectory instead?

$ ls -l /var/spool/lock/
total 4
drwxrwxr-x 2 root _saned 512 May 17 16:12 sane

I don't see anything in /etc/sane.d/plustek.conf that implies that I can
change the lockfile location, so not sure how to correct this?

Allan
Antoine Jacoutot
2021-05-18 08:39:34 UTC
Post by Allan Streib
[...]
That comes from libusb, not sane itself I think.
Antoine
Antoine Jacoutot
2021-05-18 08:42:22 UTC
Post by Antoine Jacoutot
[...]
[...]