starting avahi the proper way
sven falempin
2017-01-19 02:32:38 UTC
Misc Readers, 6.0 GENERIC.MP#2 amd64 here

I installed cupsd, and notice avahi would help to find some dnssd stuff.
i then notice avahi would need dbus to start

#
# avahi-daemon 0.6.31 starting up.
# dbus_bus_get_private(): Failed to connect to socket
/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

pkg_add did a great job putting all the rc.d files but
dbus start failed while `/usr/local/bin/dbus-launch`
actually did something

moreover /var/run/dbus/ does not exists as a directory and creating does
not help
and ahavi still does not start.

I do not know where to look for all those zeroconfig daemons :
manpages ? avahi docs ? dbus documentation ?

Am i just suppose to put some stuff in my rc.conf.local (usually the
package tell this kind of
stuff ) ?

If someone already did this, i would gladly save some of time !

Cheers.
/\
Antoine Jacoutot
2017-01-19 02:35:03 UTC
Post by sven falempin
[...]
rcctl enable messagebus avahi_daemon
rcctl start messagebus avahi_daemon
Antoine
luca suriano
2017-01-27 21:53:57 UTC
* -> 03:35:03 (giovedì 19 gennaio 2017)
* -> "Antoine Jacoutot":

[...]
Post by Antoine Jacoutot
rcctl enable messagebus avahi_daemon
rcctl start messagebus avahi_daemon
If I had added 'pkg_scripts=messagebus avahi_daemon' into '/etc/rc.conf.local'
would it been the same thing?

"Information wants to be Free"
Antoine Jacoutot
2017-01-27 21:59:47 UTC
Post by Antoine Jacoutot
rcctl enable messagebus avahi_daemon
rcctl start messagebus avahi_daemon
If I had added 'pkg_scripts=messagebus avahi_daemon' into '/etc/rc.conf.local'
would it been the same thing?
No.
Read the pkg README file under /usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/
--
Antoine